Let’s face it: tap water doesn’t always taste good, and it’s unsafe to drink in some areas. As a result, many people are turning to filtration systems to ensure a safe and delicious drinking supply. If you’re in the market for a filtration system, you might wonder whether a Berkey filter or a reverse osmosis setup is the better option. Of course, both have their pros and cons, but when it comes down to it, we believe that Berkey filters are the superior choice.
What Is Reverse Osmosis And How Does It Work?
Reverse osmosis (RO) systems use a semi-permeable membrane to remove impurities, including bacteria, viruses, and chemicals. The process effectively removes many contaminants from your water. Reverse osmosis systems can be purchased for home and commercial use, making it easy to get clean, safe water for your family or business.
What Are The Pros & Cons Of Reverse Osmosis?
Considering installing an RO system? Then, it is essential to weigh the pros and cons before deciding.
What Are The Advantages Of Reverse Osmosis?
- Removes Heavy Metals, Pesticides, & Other Contaminants
- Does Not Require The Use Of Chemicals
- Produces A Consistently High Quality Of Purified Water
Disadvantages Of Reverse Osmosis
- Removes Important Minerals From The Water (Calcium & Magnesium)
- Expensive To Install & Maintain
- Requires Frequent Filter Changes
- Some RO Systems Can’t Remove Harmful Bacteria (Giardia, E. Coli)
- May Require A Plumber To Install
Why A Berkey Water Filter System Is The Better Choice
Not only are Berkey filters more affordable than reverse osmosis systems, but they also outperform them in other ways. Black Berkey filters can remove viruses, bacteria, cysts, parasites, lead, mercury, chlorine, and other contaminants from your water –all without stripping away the healthy minerals your body needs. Here are some additional benefits:
- Easy To Set Up
- Does Not Require Electricity Or Water Pressure
- Filters Have A Long Lifespan
- Minimal Maintenance
- Last Much Longer Than RO Filters
- Able To Remove Pathogenic Bacteria like E. Coli & Giardia
Are There Any Drawbacks To Berkey Systems?
There are a few disadvantages to Berkey systems, although the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks, especially when compared to reverse osmosis.
- Slower Filtration Process
- Takes Up Counter Space
- Must Be Refilled Often
- Additional Cost For Fluoride Filters
Which Water Filtration System Should You Choose?
Regarding selecting a water filter system for your home or office, Berkey filters are the superior option in terms of price and performance. If you’re looking for a quality water filter that won’t break the bank, we recommend checking out Berkey’s line of products at USA Berkey Filters. From the Sport Berkey Water Bottle, suitable for a single backpacker, to the six-gallon Crown Berkey reservoir that can keep a large family hydrated, we have a Berkey system to suit you. Please browse our website and place your order today.