Aside from the quality of the water, one of the best reasons to buy a Berkey is that they are DIY systems. They are so simple to set up and repair that you don’t need a professional installer or repair person to keep them working. However, there is just a little bit of work involved in getting your unit up and running optimally, including plugging some holes when needed.
What Are Berkey Hole Plugs?
Most Berkey systems include four to eight holes where you can place filter elements. New units generally ship with two filters. Many people find that two filters are enough to keep up with demand. However, you can also order additional filters to increase the water flow rate.
You can use the included plugs for those openings if you only use two filters. When properly installed, hold plugs prevent contaminated water from running through the hole into the bottom reservoir chamber.
How Many Holes Does My Berkey Have?
You don’t need to worry about extra holes with our smaller units, including the GoBerkey kit and the Sport Berkey water bottle. The Berkey Light and the larger stainless steel systems will have holes that need filling.
Installing The Hole Plugs
All applicable packages include the right number and size of plugs. You can also order replacements individually, as needed. Here are the very simple steps you need to take to put them in correctly.
- Wash each plug with warm water and soap, and rinse well.
- Turn the container onto its side so you can work from the inside.
- Working from the filter side of the container, insert the plug, pressing firmly.
- Place the container upright in the correct position to filter water.
- Test the system by filtering water and checking for leaks. You can also do a red food dye test to verify that your system is set up properly: see your unit’s Quick Start Guide for instructions.
Easily Keep Your Berkey Safe & Clean
As you can see from the steps above, installing the hole plugs is simple enough to do without a repair person. Easy maintenance and setup are just two of the many benefits of our water filtration systems. Still not convinced? Here are a few more:
- Affordable Systems
- Long-Lasting Filters
- Highly Portable
- No Electricity Needed
- Remove Viruses, Bacteria, & Parasites
- Filter Out Chemical Contaminants
Get Started With Great Tasting Filter Water Today
If you’re ready to order a Berkey water filter system, USA Berkey Filters can help. We ship for free to most states. We have a full range of units, from hiker-friendly Sport Berkey bottles to the Crown Berkey unit, that can store around six gallons with up to 26 gallons of filtration per hour.