Our bodies need beneficial minerals that are naturally found in water. However, they do not need harmful substances like mercury and copper. A total dissolved solids (TDS) meter can alert you to the presence of minerals and chemicals in your water, but it can’t distinguish between the good and the bad.
Using a TDS meter on your Berkey filter can give you a high reading for total dissolved solids. However, that does not mean your water has contaminants.
What Is A TDS Meter?
These devices tell you about your drinking water’s total dissolved solids (TDS). However, that’s not the best way to calculate how healthy your water is. It’s important to choose a filter that removes dangerous solids without taking out all the minerals you need.
Good Minerals To Drink Regularly
A good filter will keep the following healthy solids in your water. These keep you healthy at the right levels.
Harmful Contaminants Found In Water
Berkey water filters remove these substances. They have bad effects when consumed in water.
What Does A High TDS Level Mean?
With Berkey water, the TDS reading usually remains unchanged after you filter the water. That doesn’t mean the filter isn’t working. Your Berkey filter doesn’t take away beneficial minerals, which are a type of total dissolved solids. However, if you have a lot of unhealthy heavy metals, you may see a big change in the TDS reading.
How To Properly Test Your Water Filter
You can run a simple red dye test to ensure your Berkey water filter is still working. For best results, use McCormick’s red dye, which has a pure chemical composition. Follow these steps to conduct the test:
1. Take off the upper container and remove remaining water, if any.
3. Take off the fluoride filters (you’ll be putting these back on).
4. Empty the lower container and put clear glasses under the Black Filter stems.
5. Place the upper chamber over the corresponding clear glass.
7. Mix 1/8 teaspoon of red dye per gallon in your upper chamber.
8. Pour the dyed water into each upper container. Don’t put the dye directly on the filters.
9. After the dyed water filters, examine the clear glasses. Do you see a pink or reddish tint? If so, the filter fails the test.
10. Replace filters that fail the test.
Contact USA Berkey Filters Today
Reach out to the team at USA Berkey Filters to order replacement parts. We will happily provide any information you need on the proper maintenance of your water filter. Contact us at any time at USA Berkey Filters if you have any questions about how these filters work!