Have you ever got stuck trying to figure out how much water to add to your Big Berkey® when using the 7.5″ water level view spigot (sight glass spigot)?*
Well, we’ve found an easy fix to help!
- Know how much water is in your Big Berkey®.
- Here’s how much water is in your Big Berkey® when the water level is at the following heights in your sight glass spigot:
- 2″ for 1 gallon full
- 4 1/4″ for 1.5 gallons full
- 6 3/8″ for 2 gallons full
- Add the following amount of water to the top chamber of your Big Berkey® (make sure the top chamber is empty to avoid over-filling):
- If the water in the bottom chamber is at 2″, add 1 gallon (128 ounces)
- If the water in the bottom chamber is at 4 1/4″, add 1/2 gallon (64 ounces)
- If the water in the bottom chamber is at 6 3/8″ or higher, do not add any water to the top chamber.
Here’s a pic below to show what we did:
Other suggestions include marking the indicated heights with permanent markers or tape because the rubber bands will move or may instantaneously fail (hey, it’s possible!).
Do you have a Berkey hack? Feel free to share it! Email us at email@example.com.
*this hack calculates water in the bottom chamber of the Big Berkey® without using any of the PF2 Fluoride/Arsenic Reduction Elements (used only with Black Berkey Elements) or the PF4 Fluoride/Arsenic Reduction Elements (used only with Super Sterasyl or Berkey Earth Filters) in the bottom chamber.
†The link to the Tru-View Spigot™ takes you to our Amazon listing of the 7.5″, 10″, and 13″ Tru-View Water Level View Spigots as well as our newest Tru-Steel™ Stainless Steel Spigot (which does not have the sight glass feature).