To maximize the lifespan and performance of your Berkey water filter system, regular cleaning and maintenance is critical. In addition to maintenance of the Black Berkey Elements and the optional add-on PF-2 Fluoride Filters, regular washing of the stainless steel chambers and lid (or the Berkey Light plastic upper & lower chambers and fabric lid), along with proper care of the spigot, washers, and blocking plugs, will ensure long-lasting, enjoyable production of delicious water for you and your loved ones.
We have found it ideal to wash the Berkey system housing and parts at least monthly. This is due in part to the potential for mineral deposit buildup as the Black Berkey Elements allow for beneficial minerals to pass through them and support your body’s hydration.
The Black Berkey Elements should be primed and purged as often as the flow-rate drops significantly, or as contaminants build up on the carbon body. Detergents should never be used to clean the Berkey Elements and they should only be cleansed with clean water that is not hot. Although funny, we have to remind people from time to time not place the Berkey Elements in the microwave or in the dishwasher. True stories.
Simple Steps to Clean Your Berkey System Housing & Parts
- Ensuring a clean hands & work space, remove the Black Berkey Purification Elements (and PF-2 Filters if attached) from the empty Berkey System chambers.
- Place Berkey System lid and Berkey Elements & Filters in a clean, secure place. Ensure they will not fall or roll around and that they are only in contact with clean materials and surfaces.
- Carefully remove blocking plugs (if in use) and spigot and washers. For stainless steel Berkey Systems, remove the lower chamber rubber base ring.
- Using clean lukewarm soapy water (mild dishwashing soap will do), wash all chambers and parts of the Berkey System and then rinse. DO NOT WASH THE BERKEY ELEMENTS OR FILTERS.
- The stainless steel chambers are dishwasher-safe.
- Allowing all rinsed chambers and parts to air-dry is ideal.
- After all Berkey System Elements, Filters, and parts are clean and dry, re-assemble the Berkey System and check for secure & snug fittings with no leaks.
- Once your Berkey System is fully reassembled, fill with water and enjoy your Berkey water once again!
- Repeat as often as needed.